Tuesday, January 1, 2013

REVIEW: Lush ➡ Cupcake Fresh Face Mask


This is a review waiting to happen, but better late than never, right?  My last haul at Lush was kind of an unexpected one.  I went in to get some treatment for my hands and left with a slew of products – one of those products being the Lush Cupcake Fresh Face Mask.  This mask is packaged into containers, which are refrigerated, so this can only be purchased within a Lush store location.  This also has a limited shelf life (roughly 3-weeks ~ mine was already a week into expiry when I purchased it :/).  The tub does look smaller, but it’ll give you at least 3-4 masks which will last you a good 2-3 weeks since it’s not a use everyday type of product.

PACKAGING & PRICE
The product is packaged into the signature black sleek Lush screw top containers.  The tub contains 2.1 oz of product.  It retails for $6.95 each.  I admit it can be a little pricy but I feel it’s worth the splurge once in a while.  Also the one great thing about Lush is if you save your containers (any screw top lid container) you can bring 5 empties into the store and get a FREE Fresh Face Mask. So there is incentive there if you enjoy their products!

PRODUCT
Cupcake got its name because of its distinct smell of peppermint scented cake batter.  It smells so good you want to eat it – but you shouldn’t, it’s not made for that.  It is geared towards oily, problematic (blemished) skin.  From what the company states the creator whipped up a batch for his teenage daughters slumber party and it was a hit.  Cupcake includes sandalwood oil, rhassoul mud, glycerine, linseed infusion, talc, cocoa powder, cocoa butter, spearmint oil, peppermint oil, fresh mint, and vanilla absolute.

The description and directions for the product are on the top of the lid: "To calm breakouts, this Rhassoul mud cleans and soothes, while cocoa butter, linseed and cocoa powder softens the skin.  Balancing peppermint, spearmint and sandalwood oils complete the effective deep cleansing experience.  Smooth onto dry skin, avoiding the eye area.  Leave for five to ten minutes, then rinse away with warm water.  Keep chilled.The website directions are as follows: “Cleanse your face and pat dry. Smooth a good dollop of Fresh Face Mask over your entire face, making sure to avoid the eyes and mouth. Leave the mask on for five to ten minutes.  Wash off with warm water.”

PURCHASING
As previously mentioned this can only be purchased within Lush store locations.  The item is showcased on the company website, but due to this having to be refrigerated; it’s only sold in-stores.

OVERALL
I enjoy this product but the only thing I dislike is the limited shelf life.  It’s expected because the ingredients are natural – but I think part of me is just bummed because I was sold a tub that was already a week into its expiration date, which meant I had to plow through using this a lot faster than I would have liked.  The end results from the mask are quite nice.  I do notice my skin is less oily after use and it’s not very oily in the morning either.  It’s not drying as most oil calming products are.

I will say, I’ve used this as directed, cleansing my face and drying, then applying the mask.  Since the mask is refrigerated it is cold when you apply it, but it warms to your skin tone.  As it sits you can feel the slight tingling from the mint.  After 10 minutes I do rinse this off.  Sometimes I find it easier to just jump into the shower to rinse it off or I’ll rinse my face over the sink.

RATING
B+

No comments:

Post a Comment